Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program helps low-income individuals to purchase food through the distribution of EBT cards.  The benefit amount is placed on the plastic EBT cards and they can be used like a credit card to buy only food products.  They cannot be used for alcoholic beverages, pet food, tobacco, paper products or other non-food items.  EBT cards are accepted by most grocery stores, by many farmers market vendors and may be used to pay for some Meals on Wheels services or congregate meals for individuals 60 years and older.

Applications must be submitted to the Department of Health and Human Services.  For more information, contact the Department of Health and Human Services or apply online at:

Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services
301 Centennial Mall South
Lincoln, NE 68509

800-833-7352 TDD
800-652-1999 Abuse & Neglect
988 Suicide Prevention
800-383-4278 Economic Assistance
855-632-7633 Medicaid Assistance

Iowa Department of Human Services
417 East Kanesville Boulevard
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
800-735-2942 TTY

Apply for Medicaid and Economic Assistance

402-473-7000 Lincoln
402-595-1178 Omaha

Economic Assistance:
402-323-3900 Lincoln
402-595-1258 Omaha

402-742-2351 Fax